EARN REWARDS* BY STAKING YOUR KUSAMA
Staking your Kusama allows you to passively earn rewards for helping to secure the network.
Through Polkadot JS, and by pairing it with your Ledger hardware wallet, you can easily and securely delegate KSM you want to stake.
You can freely choose a trustworthy validator to get competitive rewards, and you keep ownership of your Kusama coins.
WHY STAKING YOUR KUSAMA
Kusama, which describes itself as "Polkadot's wild cousin," is a blockchain platform that runs on a similar codebase and multichain infrastructure as Polkadot, but is meant to be a sandbox for developers rather than a testnet. Built on Substrate, a blockchain development kit created by Parity Technologies, Kusama is an experimental platform that offers developers a highly scalable, interoperable network with unique features not yet available on Polkadot.
Kusama serves as a canary network, providing a testbed for developers to innovate and deploy their own blockchains. Many projects choose to remain on Kusama for their final product, rather than moving to Polkadot. The platform has a low barrier to entry for deploying parachains and low bond requirements for validators, making it ideal for early-stage startups and experimentation.
Maximise your KSM assets
Don't let your assets gather dust. Put them to work and make them grow with Ledger.
Secure the Kusama network
When you do KSM staking, you make the Kusama blockchain successful by securing the network and validating transactions.
KUSAMA STAKING IS BETTER WITH A WALLET APP THAT SUPPORT COLD STORAGE
Pairing your Ledger with a thrid-party wallet, allow you to grow securely your KSM bag securely.
Keep full custody of your assets when you stake Kusama with the Polkadot JS wallet, unlike with crypto exchanges.
Freedom of choice
It's up to you to choose which validators you want to stake your Kusama.
Earn KSM rewards
In Proof-of-Stake blockchains like Kusama, networks have validators, but they do not have to compete with each other to solve mathematical puzzles. They are instead pre-selected to produce the blocks based on the stake backing them. Token holders can lock funds on the chain and for doing so, they are getting staking rewards.
Kusama implements Nominated Proof-of-Stake (NPoS), a relatively novel and sophisticated mechanism to select the validators who are allowed to participate in its consensus protocol. NPoS encourages KSM holders to participate as nominators.
There is thus an economic incentive for token holders to become active participants who contribute to the economic security and stability of the network.
Staking KSM currently has an annual yield of around 13%.
You can stop staking your KSM nomination and send the un-bonding transaction at any time, your funds will remain locked and illiquid for 7 days. This is a security measure stipulated by the protocol.
Kusama staking calculator
HOW DOES LEDGER'S SOLUTION WORK?Get your device
A hardware walletthat offers the best security for your crypto and NFTs - your assets always remain safe.
An appto manage your crypto and access key services: buy, swap or grow your assets. Securely thanks to your hardware wallet.
5 STEPS FOR STAKING KUSAMA SECURELY
Buy a Ledger hardware wallet
Ledger hardware wallets are the smartest way to securely store your Kusama tokens.
Set up your device and install the Kusama app
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- Follow the setup steps.
- On Ledger Live, go to "My Ledger" and install the Kusama app.
Create an Polkadot JS wallet
- Visit the Polkadot.js extension page and add the extension to your browser
- Open the Polkadot.js extension and accept the terms
- Click the ‘+’ to create a new account
- Copy your mnemonic seed phrase and save it in a secure location
- Give your Polkadot.js account a name
- Create a unique password and store it in a secure location
Connect your Ledger to Auro Wallet
- Go to Polkadot JS official website and "select apps wallet (hosted)"
- Click the Polkadot logo to open the side panel.
- Select Kusama and click Switch to move to KSM wallet. Make sure that you're connected via Parity.
- Navigate to Settings, select manage hardware connections, and then choose one of the following:
"Attach Ledger via WebUSB" if you are on Windows. And "Attach Ledger via WebHID" if you are on macOS or Linux.
- Click Save.
Start Kusama staking
- On Auro wallet, click “Staking” and then “Go to Staking”.
- Choose a block producer. You can check the information of block producers (i.e. validators) on the Leaderboard.
- Once you have chosen a block producer, confirm the transactions in your wallet.
Other crypto to stake with Ledger
Want to learn more about staking?
We answer all the basic questions you might have in our Ledger academy: What is staking? What’s
between Proof-of-Stake and Proof-of-Work? What is a validator?
You can also take a look at our School of Block series on Youtube to learn how to get started in staking and make your money work for you.